The parlor was used to entertain guests at Fendall Hall. This room was closed and not used unless company were present in the house. Originally, the home had twin parlors; through the pocket doors would have been the Gentlemen’s Parlor where the men would “withdraw to” after dinner for Port and cigars. The Gentlemen’s Parlor was changed to the “Painted Dining Room” in the 1880s.
Original 1860’s features of the room are the pocket doors with Bohemian cut glass, marble fireplace, and plaster decorations above the chandelier and around the ceiling. The red arm chair, child’s chair and lady’s chair with needlepoint seat are furnishings used by the Youngs.
The crystal chandelier, mantel mirror, pier mirror, gold sofa, spindle-backed chair and lady’s chair with needlepoint seat are furnishings used by the Dent’s in the 1880s. Features added to the room by the Dent’s include the murals (all hand painted) wool carpets, brass drapery hardware and drapes.
Capt. And Mrs. Dent hired an artist from Columbus, Georgia, D. F. Leifrank to paint the murals. He owned a decorating business and painted murals as a sideline. It is believed that two books influenced the paintings at Fendall Hall. One, “The Grammar of Ornament, The Victorian Masterpiece on Oriental, Primitive, Classical, Mediaeval and Renaissance Design and Decorative Art” by Owen Jones published in England in 1856 and in American in 1880. And the illustrations of Richard Doyle in the children’s book “In Fairyland” published in 1870.