The chandelier is called a “Crown of Thorns” because of the pattern at the top. When installed at Fendall Hall it was a gaslight but was electrified when the house was electrified in the early 1900’s. It is Baccarat crystal.
Guests would be welcomed in the entry hall and then escorted into the parlor when the family lived here.
The black and white marble floors and the marble shelves on each of the walls are original to the 1860’s as are the architectural features of the hallway.The chandelier and painted walls and ceilings were added in the 1880’s by the Dents.
Condensation formed in the walls in the hallway because the rooms adjoining the hallway were heated and the hall was not. This moisture caused the walls to crack and the paint to separate from the walls. The Dents did not know how to solve this problem and began first to wallpaper and then paint to cover the unsightly damage.
When the state purchased the house in 1973 none of the paintings in the hallway were visible. Four coats of paint and wallpaper were removed and the wall cracks were repaired. Art restorers were hired to repair the damage to the paintings.
The damage did not reoccur because central heat and air were installed to control temperature and moisture.
Today the murals are as close to the originals painted in 1886 as possible.