The living room was used as a gathering space for the family when no guests were at Fendall Hall. It would be similar to your den or TV room today.
The only furniture in this room that belonged to the family is the standing secretary. It was purchased in Montgomery, Alabama in the 1940’s by Mrs. Louise Hurt, third owner of the house. It is Empire in style, the same as used by the Youngs, and dates from the 1860’s.
The portraits are of Edward B. Young and his wife Ann Fendall Beall Young, builders of Fendall Hall. The house was named for Mrs. Young by her granddaughter Mrs. Louise Hurt in the 1940’s. Before this time the house was known by the last name of the owner in residence. Because Fendall Hall was owned by women of the family for four generations this meant the name of the house changed each generation. It began as the Young House, then the Young-Dent house and by the 1940’s as the Young-Dent-Hurt House. Mrs. Hurt thought that the name was getting too long and complicated and decided the house needed a name and named it “Fendall Hall”.
The painting above the mantel is of the Hudson River. The small structures on the left bank of the river are West Point. The painting was a gift from Mr. John Dowe of Montgomery.