Although the furnishings in this and the adjoining bedroom are the same Eastlake style used by the Dents, they are not the original to the Fendall Hall. These furnishings were donated by Mr. John Dowe of Montgomery.
The straw matting on the floor is a reproduction of what was used in the home on the second floor from 1880 until the house was vacated by the family in 1972. Straw flooring was popular for keeping the house cooler during warmer months, as it does not retain heat in the same way as carpet. The walls are painted much as they were in 1860. The paint is either calcimine or milk paint.
The door in the corner served as the landing for the second “hidden” staircase. The staircase was removed in the 1880s and a water closet was installed in this space. The other door is to a clothes closet which is original to the house. Instead of a clothing rod down the center of the closet, pegs were installed along the walls. Clothes hangers were not invented until 1913, so clothes were hung from pegs along the wall.