This room was the dining room from 1860 – 1880. In 1880 it became the downstairs master bedroom. The plaster crown molding and marble fireplace were installed in the 1860s and was taken out in the 1880s when “The Space Between’ was renovated for a different purpose.
The needlepoint fire screen was sewn by Mrs. Louise Dent Hurt, the third owner of the house. The portrait above the China cabinet is of, a very young, Mr. Edward B. Young, the builder of Fendall Hall. He was about 19 years old.
The portraits are of Mr. and Mrs. John Edwards King of New Orleans and were painted in 1871. The portraits were a gift to the Alabama Historical Commission by the couple’s granddaughter, Carolyn Gunn Bellenger, of Gadsden, Alabama. The paintings hang here more because of the artist than the subjects. The artist, Nicola Marschall, was known as the “Artist of the Confederacy.” Nicola Marschall (1829 – 1917) was a German-American artist who supported the Confederate cause during the American Civil War. He designed the original Confederate flag, the Stars and Bars as well as the official grey uniform of the Confederate army. Nicola Marschall is claimed to be the designer of the first Stars and Bars.