Originally the gentleman’s parlor, it was changed to the formal dining room in the 1880’s by the Dents. The family called this room the “Painted Dining Room” and that name is still used today.
Features of the room that date to the 1860’s are the marble mantel with coal insert, plaster decorations above the chandelier and near the ceiling, and the large oval mirror with marble shelf beneath. The corner cabinet (étagère), pink and white Haviland china and silver tea and sugar belonged to the Young’s.
The chandelier, over mantel mirror, hand-painted walls and ceilings, carpets and drapes were added by the Dents in the 1880’s.
The silver candelabra on the table were a gift to the house by the brother-in-laws of Charles McDowell Crook as a memorial to him. Charlie was a descendant and very active in the preservation of his ancestral home.